As the cost of electricity rises and people become increasingly concerned with reducing their carbon footprint, many are going for solar power installation. If you’re considering it, you may be wondering if solar energy is the right choice for you. Here, we discuss some pros and cons of residential solar installation, so you can make an educated decision.
The pros of solar energy are clear. Solar power is versatile, and installing solar panels at your home can help lower your electric bill, raise the value of your home, benefit the environment, and help the community. Let’s look at these benefits individually.
- Of the different forms of alternative energy, solar is most versatile. Wind energy, for example, needs wide open spaces and ample wind changes. Hydroelectric power requires a large water source. Solar energy can be used almost anywhere, and even on cloudy days, solar energy stored in batteries can continue to power your home.
- Installing a solar panel system allows you to generate your own energy. This means you’ll be less reliant on the utility company and your monthly electric bill will be lower. Because a solar power system usually has a 25 to 35 year lifespan, going solar can allow you to reduce your utility costs for many years. This kind of energy independence can be extremely appealing.
- The value of your home will increase if you install solar panels. Some people are reluctant to install solar panels because it seems like a complicated process, but a home with a solar energy system already in place is very appealing. Even if you move before your system has paid for itself in utility savings, you’ll get a return on your investment when you sell your home.
- Using solar energy is good for the environment. Solar power is a clean, renewable energy source that can help reduce your carbon footprint. While there are some concerns about the emissions created in the production of solar panels, and the lack of widespread, viable recycling options, the “energy payback” of solar power is significant. Solar doesn’t contribute to pollution of the atmosphere and water supply, and the energy it saves makes up for the energy expended making it within about four years.
- In many places, solar can be sold back to the grid. Through net metering, your excess energy can be sold back to the communal grid, helping the community by sharing renewable energy. What’s more, there are a number of solar incentives available that allow you to turn a profit as your solar panel system gives back to the grid.
Of course, as with anything, there are downsides to solar as well. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Let’s look at some of the negatives.
- Not every roof can be used for solar panels. Some roofing materials can’t sustain a solar panel system, and homes with skylights or rooftop additions can make solar installation complicated and expensive. Then, too, some roofs don’t get enough sunlight to sustain solar panels. However, even if your roof isn’t a good spot for solar panels, there are workarounds. Using ground-mounted solar panels or buying a share in a community solar garden can allow you to use solar power even if your roof is not suitable.
- Solar only saves you money if your energy costs aren’t already low. People who live in areas where energy costs are high can benefit from solar, but if your electricity is already inexpensive, the cost of installing solar panels might not be worth the investment.
- Installing solar can be expensive. The total cost of installing a solar panel system can be high, and many people are intimidated by this. However, depending on where you live, you may be eligible for tax credits, rebates, or even a zero-down solar loan. What’s more, while the cost of electricity has gone up about five percent in the past 10 years, the cost of solar has dropped by more than 70 percent. Considering that, if you can get financing for solar, it’s a sound investment and a great way to gain control of energy costs.
After weighing the pros and cons, if you want to go solar and you’re looking for a solar energy installer with a stellar reputation and quick turnaround, contact Sunlogix Energy. A leading full-service solar solution at the forefront of creating a sustainable planet, powered by the sun, we’ve been voted the Best Solar Company in the Desert by the Coachella community 2 years running. We offer residential and commercial solar, always striving to provide full customer satisfaction by offering premium products and professional installation at an exceptional value. Focused on using renewable energy to create a cleaner earth, we customize solar solutions for our clients, as well as educating them on the long-term and immediate benefits provided by solar power. Call 888-844-3808 for more information or visit our website to request a free estimate today!